Pages

Monday, June 6, 2011

A new addition to the School Room

Before he left for a week at sea, Matt helped me with my latest project.
I always hang "counting our way to 100 days" chart for our school year. Unfortunately the one I picked for this coming year was a poster that was 38" wide and needed to be on a magnetic surface because the pictures you add to it are actually magnets. My magnetic whiteboards (for extras) are only 36" wide. I didn't want to put it on my large white board because I use that for teaching grammar, math and other lessons on. So I went on a quest at home depot for some magnetic metal sheets. I found 16" x 36" panning in the duct work section. Dh and I bought 3 of them, some finishing washers and some screws, came home and screwed them to the wall. It was so easy and now I have a 36" X 50" magnetic surface on my school room wall. It took us about 10 minutes to put it up. I used a nail set to punch holes in the panning (it's very thin so one good whack made a small hole) and used the finishing washers to give it a nicer look. It has a bent up edge on one short side of the panning, but you can either cut it off or leave it. I decided to just leave it on and just made sure that edge was always on the top of the boards when putting them up.

Here's some pictures. 



The 100 day poster I needed to come up with a solution for is on the bottom and I hung another poster on the top for safe keeping until I figure out if I want it there or somewhere else.

Each panning sheet cost $5.44, the screws were $1.06 and the finishing washers were $2.56, so it the whole thing was under $20.

4 comments:

truthwalker said...

That is cool! Great thinking.

MOM #1 said...

Very clever. Don't you just love when you are exasperated by how something will work out and then it's not only a quick fix - but cheap too. Double Win!!!

SabrinaT said...

Looks very nice! I wish we had space for something like that.

I just ordered All About Spelling for my son. I have never used it before but all of the reviews that I read say its good for kids with Dyslexia. I sure hope it is!

Anonymous said...

We're using your pictures to try to do the same, and hubby is frustrated with the screws! How many are on each metal sheet? Did you overlap the sheets slightly or put them up right next to each other? Thanks! Kim