Pages

Friday, September 24, 2010

Review, Part 2-- Sept. 20-24

Part 2 was a great success.  It was a nice, casual week because we were just working to catch up on things that had to be put on hold last week.


The kids asked why we weren't doing history this year, so I asked them what they'd like to do.  They wanted to review what we'd started last year and then move on, so I pulled out my copy of Story of the World Volume 3: Early Modern Times and decided to start at the beginning.  We'll also be using the activity guide for it.  Everett and Annika both did some language arts and math lessons, but I won't bore you with those details.  Here's a slide show of the history pages and a cursive sheet for each.


Everett  




Annika



Lucas wrapped up his week with phonics, math and science work.  He's really enjoying all of his McRuffy curriculum. 





We wrapped up the week with a fun art day project.  I pulled out a tissue paper art kit and the kids had a blast making their tissue paper pictures. 




As promised, here are the finished items. 





Here are few curriculum changes to note.  Everett was getting bogged down with Growing with Grammar so we'll be moving back to Junior Analytical Grammar and he asked to start at the beginning.  I will oblige him there, extra review is always good.  After finishing the Writing with Skill beta testing, he'll be using Writing with Ease instead of IEW.  Spelling is the last area of change for him, Soaring with Spelling didn't even get it's full trial, he's just bored, so we'll be pulling out All About Spelling again, and I will not try anything else.  That's the one that works for him and I should stop worrying about it.  Annika is using McRuffy's Dynamic Phonics Learning book in hopes to speed up phonics and focus more on reading than all the other Language arts stuff.  I'll also add in Writing with Ease for her and if she'd like to do All About Spelling we'll start that for her. 


I hope you all enjoy the slideshows and video.  Tune in next week for another review.


9 comments:

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

Awesome! I love the art projects! I need to buy some of those kits for my girls.

Sounds like you're a smart homeschooling mama to know when to make one week into two and when to switch curricula!

Way to go!

Sydni said...

I love the art project--maybe sometime you could give us the particulars on how they made their creations. :)

Bright Sky Mom said...

Love the big-eyed, colorful creations!
Lee (5wolfcubs)

Daisy said...

Looks like a wonderful week. It is always nice when the kids ASK for history. :-) Great cursive pages. I'm really impressed with Everett's handwriting.

Great art project. I'm in the mood for some art. I need to plan something spooky, I think. ;-p

Tonia said...

Love the tissue paper projects! That looks like a lot of fun!

Robyn said...

Those projects are so neat! I love your slide shows! How did you do that? It looks like maybe PB?

Kel said...

Robyn,
I do the slideshows in Photobucket and then use the HTML code to put them in the post.

Karen said...

Great job everyone!

Mandy in TN said...

Great job with all projects... and the photos!