Pages

Monday, September 15, 2014

First day of school 2014-2015


Today was the first day of my 9th year of homeschooling, wow I've been doing this gig a long time.  The kids were excited, one of the more so than others.  I woke up thinking it would be a rough morning.  I was sure I'd have to drag my kids out of bed kicking and screaming.  After all summer vacation had lasted longer than most kids have due to the move.  As I walked out of my room I was shocked at the sight awaiting me.  My 15.5 year old son, happily eating his cocoa puffs.  Yes, he was already awake, and it didn't take a cattle prod.  Huh, who knew.  

I then proceeded to take pictures of my kids with little signs stating what grade they were in.  You know those pictures, I'm sure you've seen them on facebook or took them yourselves.  Mine weren't like the ones you may have seen of the bright eyed, bushy tailed, kiddos ready to hop on the bus, nope, not at all.  They were of my 9th grader noshing on his earlier mentioned  cocoa puffs, of my 7th grader sleeping with her neck at some strange, uncomfortable looking angle, and of my 3rd grader after he'd looked at me like I was a nutter and decided to take me up on my "it's ok, just go back to sleep" offer.  

After he finished eating 1 of 3 decided he wanted to get to work right away.  I was not ready for that.  I hadn't made out the assignment sheets yet.  I had planned on waking up at least an hour before them all and doing that while I enjoyed the quiet morning.  So I said,"Uhhh, I guess you could do math."  He looked at me, thought for a bit, and then said, "Or I could do my programming, I have a lesson for that on the calendar from dad." "Sure, programming, that sounds good"  I then went about my crazy rushed morning having something to eat and rapidly writing out those assignment sheets. 

We settled in at 10:30 after I woke 2 of 3 and 3 of 3, it was a good day.  They worked without complaint and even stated they had fun during some subjects.  

Even though I realized that my kids had no idea what a number sign or pound sign was and had to resort to calling it a hashtag I consider today a win.


 
 photo kelsblogsiggy_zps5d792189.png

No comments: