Pages

Friday, March 4, 2011

Focus on Annika Clare

I've decided that every so often I'll make a post that focuses on one of my children and something that is of special interest to them.  All of my children love to draw, but my daughter Annika Clare has always excelled in this area.  I honestly don't remember a time after she learned to hold a crayon that she wasn't drawing something.  At 3 year old she was able to draw well enough that everyone knew what she was aiming for.  She's also very detail oriented in her drawings and tries to make them as real to life as possible.  She loves all things animals, from the tiniest creepy crawly to the largest mammals on earth.  Almost daily she surprises me by leaving a drawing she's made on the table by my computer or next to my bed.  I've decided to share with you two of her most recent pictures.  


When we started our new school year I found this drawing at my place on the school table. It is a drawing of our school mascot, the phoenix.  After I found it she told me it was rising up out of the ashes to begin anew, and that it was to represent the beginning of our new school year. 



Earlier today we watched the Disney film Secretariat, which I felt she would really enjoy because one of her favorite animals is the horse.  She hopes to one day own a few of them.  About 30 minutes after the movie was over she emerged from her room (which she often calls her art studio) with this drawing of the title character.  She told me she used one of her Schleich figures as a model so she could be as accurate as possible. 



My daughter is truly a joy in my life and brightens it daily with her kind, loving nature.  I love that she embraces her creative side as often as she possibly can.  
I hope you have enjoyed her drawings as much as I do.

8 comments:

Marty said...

That's really good!
Good proportions. I could never draw a horse - not even the head! =)

Unknown said...

Those are beautiful drawings and she made them up so quickly. She definitely has a natural talent.

SabrinaT said...

Those are really great! Very talented.

I noticed you live in Virginia. I am fairly sure we are going to be stationed there with the Navy. Is there a large home school community in Virginia? We are currently stationed in Japan and there are only about 5 families that home school.

My children have never attended public school, and after watching Waiting For Superman I just can not fathom enrolling them... Thanks for any information you might have.

Kel said...

Sabrina,

There is a large homeschooling population here in VA. They have a large convention in Richmond each year. I don't personally belong to any groups or co-ops but know of at least 10 in our area alone and many more throughout the state.

Soaring Eagle said...

Those are really great drawings...
I like your idea of writing about something that interests each of your children...might have to borrow that idea :)

Mandy in TN said...

WooHoo, fabulous job, Annika! Your drawings show such an eye for balance.

Tara K said...

Fabulous Drawings :) Great Job Annika ! :)

ali said...

Lovely pictures...my 9 year old wants to be a sculptor when she grows up. Her latest work was a lifesize robot.

http://funoutofthebox.blogspot.com/2011/03/daily-31511.html