Pages

Friday, June 25, 2010

Summer School Week 5 -- June 21-25

We've been gone a while, due to standardized testing and then a busy week of appointments.  This week we did a little bit of summer school work but mostly enjoyed hanging out together.  
Everett:
Reading:  He's finished reading  The Fire Within and has begun reading Icefire.  He is really enjoying the series and has quite a list of books he wants to read over the summer and for the next school year.
Math: I decided that we'd use Math-U-See for summer math maintenance and he completed lessons 1 and 2 in Gamma.  He's going through it quickly which is fine, because we'll catch any holes and make sure to fill them in. 
Writing:  He asked to do some writing this summer so we brought out Writing with Ease: level 2 again and he completed the first 2 days of week 1.  We're taking it slow and relaxed.  I was really happy with the narration he did, since it's been a while.


Annika:
Reading: She's been asking to just try reading real books instead of phonics lessons and I thought, why not give it a try.  She trudged her way through One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish over a weeks time.  There were some rough spots but she's doing really well and it seems like some things are starting to click.  She's now working on reading  Green Eggs & Ham.
Math: I also put her in Math-U-See for summer math maintenance, and she did lessons 1 and 2 in Alpha this week.  She's really enjoying watching Mr. Demme on the DVD and says he's fun and funny to watch. 
Writing:  I also thought I'd pull Writing with Ease: Level 1 back out for her and she completed days 1 and 2 of week 1.  She said she remembered doing this before and liked it, and although narrations can still be tough I think she'll make great strides with it soon.
Lucas:
Preschool: I've brought out the Rod and Staff preschool books and we started working through Adventures with Books.  He's excited to have a new book to work in and is doing well.  He still has some some issues with coloring in the lines, but we're getting there. 


I also received the kids standardized test scores this week and was pleased to see they did well.  We have a few areas to work on, but no surprises there. 


We're officially on summer break now, see you again in September
 

3 comments:

Robin Johnson said...

It sounds like y'all had a productive week. My dd5 is wanting to be able to read now but gets so frustrated at how much work it is. It's so hard to keep doing phonics when they'd rather be reading.

MOM #1 said...

That is a fabulous way to end summer school. Have a great break!

Maybe I'll get my schedule settled enough to visit more often come fall, LOL.

Tara K said...

My son has the whole The Fire Within & Icefire series. I enjoyed reading it as well!

We are doing a year-round schedule. My 5th grader is in public school, but my 8th grader is homeschooled. We choose SOS for language, history, and bible, and are doing abeka math and science. I'm adding in a bike maintenance class & photo blog class on my own. first full week (wed-tues) is done .. and we're right back into the schedule :)