Pages

Friday, October 2, 2009

Week 7 in review -- Sept. 28-Oct. 2

It was a good week with a great field trip to the movies on Friday.

Everett:
Grammar: He completed Lessons 10-11 in First Language Lessons Level 3. We will be going back to Junior Analytical Grammar now that we have some more understanding of Nouns and Pronouns and will use FLL 3 to reinforce JAG when necessary.
Spelling: Alphabetter drill #4 was passed. Apples and Pears wasn't a hit, so we tried the free lessons from Sequential Spelling and so far so good. We'll most likely be use that for Everett for the rest of this semester and then I'll see how things are going and decide if we'll keep going with it or find something else.
Writing: He worked on Week 4 in Writing with Ease level 2 which includes an excerpt from Dr. Dolittle.
Penmanship: He has done pgs. 13-14 in his Handwriting without tears cursive success book.
Reading: The Titans Curse, Chapters 6-10 have been read and he's still completely hooked on this series. He even named his new Webkin Percy.
Math: Teaching Textbook 5 lessons 88-90 were completed this week. He's completed still working on calculadder drill #26. We started our Singapore math level 3 Extra Practice book this week and he has really enjoyed the lessons, they were a review of place value but he had fun with them. Singapore EP pages 1-10.
Geography: Daily Geography week 7 completed. The topic was reading a Robinson Projection Map.
Science: He finished up the homework pages for My Pals Are Here Systems Unit 1.

Annika:
Language Arts: McRuffy phonics lessons 95-97 were completed along with adding the spelling part of McRuffy back in. She's coming along nicely and her speech therapist said her "L" sounds are getting much better. She also completed Episodes 50-52 in Headsprout Reading. Headsprouts gotten quite a bit ahead of her other program so we're going to take a break from it for a while.
Penmanship: I think I finally got the issues with our Handwriting without tears order worked out and we should have her Printing Power book by next week.
Writing: She completed Week 4 in Writing with Ease level 1 which includes an excerpt about Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.
Math: McRuffy math 1 lessons 43-44 were completed. She passed calculadder drill #3 and is working on Drill #4. She completed pgs. 7-10 in Sinapore Primary Math 1A and Extra Practice pgs. 3-6
Geography: Daily Geography week 7 completed. The topic was reading a map grid.
Science: She completed pgs. 7-9 in her Singapore Earlybird Start Up Science workbook 1.

BOTH
History: We decided to just to a quick overview of colonial times since we've covered that over the summer because of living so close to Jamestown and other fun historical places in VA.

Lucas:
Preschool: He did a few pages in his Bigger steps book and from his Kumon books. He also drew many scribble drawings and had fun at his 2 gym classes.

We wrapped up the week by going to a 10am showing of Toy Story 1 and 2 in Digital 3D. It was so fun to see the movies on the Big screen, they had been long out of the theaters by the time the kids were old enough to see them. Everett actually went to Toy Story 2 with us when he was about 6 months old, but I'm sure he doesn't remember it.

Tune in next week for "The Week 8 Review"

7 comments:

MOM #1 said...

What a fantastic week.

I have to admit, the most exciting thing I can imagine is seeing Toy Story 1 & 2 in 3D. How much fun!

I haven't seen those in a long time.

I think I still have them around here somewhere on VHS. I'm going to have to dig them out and watch them.

Robyn said...

Looks like you had a great week! Fun way to end it!

Mrs Darling of Blueberry House said...

Hey maybe you could help me. Do you know what a passing grade woudl be for the quizzes in TT Math 5? I cant find anywhere what they consider to be a passing grade. Is it a 70% or an 80% or what? How do you determine if they have passed the quiz?

Kel said...

Mrs. Darling,
I'm not sure that there is a rule for that from TT specifically. I know that personally for me if my son doesn't get an 80% or better on any lesson or quiz I make sure we go over it together and have him redo those problems he missed with me so we can see where he went wrong and why.
I don't know if that helps at all, but that's what we do here.

Mrs. Darling said...

Thanks Kel. I was thinking 80% too since that is what my Christian Light Education workbooks give for passing quiz grades. I just wish there was some way of really knowing. I have googled it and looked through the manual and I cant find anything about it. IN fact googling it is how I found your site! I have you book marked now. Thanks for your speedy response.

momtothree said...

HI, I know my next comments are unsolicited but I wanted to ask have you ever considered Megawords for spelling/vocabulary. It is put out by the same people who made Explode the Code. I find much of the scope and sequence similar to AAS. However, the way it teaches is very different. I am pondering Megawords or AAS level 3. It just seems that AAS is moving so slow. Yet, my dd is learning so much from it.(sigh) I have to decide now as we are now done with AAS level 2. She is completing a level every 8-12 weeks. If I stay steady she will complete level 4 by the end of school year.

Again ignore my suggestion. I just thought I would mention it as I looked at it on CBD the other night.

Angela

Kel said...

Angela,
I have heard of Megawords, but never looked at it. My son liked AAS at first but the slow pace wasn't for him. I'm not sure about my daughter, for now just the spelling in her phonics program is enough. My son seems to like Sequential Spelling for now, but I'll have to keep Megawords in mind if SS doesn't pan out.