Pages

Friday, August 22, 2008

Week 3 Review -- August 18-22

It was another fun week here for us.  We've now been back to school for 3 weeks and all is going well.  The kids are enjoying their studies and there's been absolutely no complaining about what we're doing.  

Here's what we've done this past week.  Sorry no pictures this week.  Maybe I'll get some up next week.

Everett
Language Arts
Grammar-- He concluded his chapter on pronouns in Growing with Grammar.  
Spelling--Spelling Power is working really well, he's really enjoying the daily tests and study sheets.  I think we've finally found a hit for spelling.
Writing-- He continued to do well in his Writing with Ease assignments and is enjoying the format.  Hopefully in a week or two we'll have the Year 2 workbook and he'll move on to that.
Phonics-- 5 lessons completed this week in Headsprout phonics.  4 left to go and he'll officially be completely done his phonics training.
Penmanship-- Another week done in A Reason for Handwriting book D.  His cursive isn't the prettiest but it's coming along.

Math
He completed 3 lessons, 1 test and 1 math investigation in Saxon 5/4.  Math is continuing to go well since switching back to Saxon.

Geography-- This week he covered the earth's hemispheres in Daily Geography Practice for Grade 4.  So far so good.

Annika
Language Arts
Grammar-- 3 lessons done on subject and predicate as well as learning the difference between a fragment and a complete sentence.
Phonics-- 5 lessons done in Headsprout phonics.  She's well on her way and starting to read a bit better.
Writing-- Another week done in Writing With Ease and she's really enjoying it.  She's been asking to hear more from the book selections used in the lessons.
Penmanship-- Another great week for Annika.  She has really gotten her printing down and it looks beautiful to me.

Math
She's completed 4 lessons and 1 test in Saxon math 1.  She really enjoys the Saxon format and is retaining a lot.

Geography
She really likes doing this.  It's very simple for her but she is starting to hone her map reading skills.

Both Kids
Science-- They are continuing to love NOEO Biology 1.  We're still covering weather and the kids have learned a lot.  We're also starting our first lapbook with a kit on weather I found at the Hands of a Child site.

History--We've just wrapped up a few loose ends on the Fire of London and the Plague since we did a little more last week than was actually planned.

Reading-- Anna is still working through the first box of Bob Books but is doing pretty well.  Everett is starting to enjoy reading a bit more and has almost finished his first book read this year.  It's taken a bit longer than we'd like but we'll keep working on that.

We hope you all continue to have a great year and are looking forward to continuing ours.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your week sounds great. I'm so glad Spelling Power has taken off great too. Isn't it nice when you find a keeper? Have a great weekend! :)

Michelle said...

Looks like another great week Kel! I hope you all enjoy your first lapbook, we sure did! They are a great keepsake as well :) Jade is loving her Saxon this year too. She did 1st last year and it sticks really well with her (especially the facts). Her birthday is tomorrow so I let her have today "off" for just a whatever-she-wants-to-do-day LOL

MOM #1 said...

Another great week!

michelle said...

That all sounds great, Kel!
I am really excited about starting GWG with my two oldest next week.
We almost went with spelling power, too...but decided at the last minute to try R&S instead.

I'm glad you're having a good year so far!

Blessings,
Michelle

Hen Jen said...

Kel, I just wanted to comment on how much I am enjoying your blog- I am really enjoying seeing your weeks in review with the photos. I have to say thank you, too for pointing me towards headsprout phonics. I was visiting your blog a few weeks ago and saw it on your side-bar. I was curious because I thought I was passing-familiar with what is 'out there' for phonics...I went to check it out and wow! I purchased it for my 3 early readers. Two probably fit better around lesson 40- but you need to start at the beginning, which is probably a good thing. Anyways, thank you! And my kids thank you, they were not enjoying out other phonics program.