Pages

Friday, January 22, 2010

Week 18 in Review -- Jan 17-23

We're half way through the school year and it feels great!  The kids and I decided to change up the schedule a bit for the 2nd semester and we well be doing Math and Language Arts daily during the week and History and Science will be done on the weekends.  We did this last year for a while too and they really enjoyed it.  This way we get to dive a little deeper in both subjects and not feel like we need to rush in order to get it all done during the day. 
Here's what we did this past week.
Everett:
Grammar: The remaining lessons in GWG 5 unit 1 were completed.  We'll now start Junior Analytical Grammar, we had tried it in the past and he just wasn't ready, but I think he is now.
Spelling: Spelling Workout Lesson 5 was completed.
Writing: He did a Keyword Outline and paragraph report on Cephalopods this week, he's really enjoying this and I think next week I'll start teaching him to type his final drafts.
Reading: He read about half of Howliday Inn this week and is really enjoying the book.  I love that he's finally found his love of reading.  Now I just have to make sure to keep lots of good reading options available for him.
Math: Teaching Textbooks lessons 12-16 covering a review of multiplication were completed.  He's still doing really well and finally got the hint that his math notebook where he writes out his problems should have some sort of order to them.  He places the problems in columns instead of rows like I was taught in school, I'm ok with it because at least they are all scrambled up on the page.


Annika:
Language Arts:McRuffy Phonics and Reading K lessons 151-161 were completed.  She learned about long E and the /mp/ consonant blend.  She's doing so well, I can't believe that just 5 months ago she was an almost non-reader.
Math: McRuffy Math 1 lessons 121-129 were completed.  She began working with the concept of "half" and continues to work on simple subtraction and adding 3 single digit numbers.


BOTH
History: We reviewed a little on the Pilgrims and colonists.  They look forward to next week when we cover Peter the Great.
Science: We worked on the concept of Mass, and why they call it the Periodic Table of Elements.


Lucas:
Preschool: He began a new maze book as well as starting "My first book of coloring" He really enjoys doing school and runs to his desk each day.


Tune in next week for Week 19 in Review
 

7 comments:

Mandy in TN said...

Sometimes mixing it up makes all the difference in attitude and therefore in getting it done!

Kash said...

It sounds like you all accomplished quite a bit this week! Enjoy your science & history this weekend. :)

Daisy said...

I like the idea of doing a subject on the weekend. Unfortunately we are usually running around like chickens with our heads cut off. I want a day off!!!

I really need to do some kind of intro for my oldest into chemistry. She's had pretty much nothing but life & earth science. No physics or chemistry. I'm going to take another look at what you are using...

Liza Q said...

I like your weekend idea...but my crew, and husband!, would not. We keep our weekends free (unless we have a real need to catch up with something) until they get into High School.

We are also doing SOTW3 and Chemistry this year and really enjoying both.

Tonia said...

Changing it up is always a good idea in the winter - gives us something to look forward to. Sounds like you had a good week. Great work! ;-)

Gretchen said...

Sounds like a good week! I just ordered McRuffy phonics for my littlest boy, so I'm glad to hear it's working well for you.

Heather said...

I've seen you talk about McRuffy a lot on the Boards. I'm in the desperate search for a good LA program for my upcoming 1st grader. I'll have to check this one out! :)